Sitting pretty on the shores of the Swan River, Australia’s sunniest capital city effortlessly blends urban cool with raw natural beauty.
Western Australia’s capital city Perth is consistently rated as one of the world’s most liveable cities, where its spectacular natural surroundings are rivalled only by its vibrant city life. Having undergone a major transformation in recent times, here you’ll find an exciting mix of new hotels, bars, restaurants and public precincts.
Perth’s state-of-the-art, multi-award winning 60,000 seat Perth Stadium opened to applause in 2018, and has hosted sell-out sporting and music events. Home to the Australian Football League (AFL) in WA, Perth Stadium is a multi-purpose venue designed to host cricket, rugby union and rugby league, soccer and music concerts.
Within an hour of Perth’s CBD you can meet the friendly quokkas at the idyllic Rottnest Island, tantalise your tastebuds in the Swan Valley or Perth Hills wine regions, swim with dolphins at Rockingham, discover a bohemian lifestyle in the eclectic port city of Fremantle, or enjoy the string of pristine beaches that line Perth’s metropolitan coastline.
Top Perth Experiences
- Discover charming hidden laneways, bars and street art.Formerly disused heritage buildings and laneways are now home to bustling bars and street art. There’s a selection for all tastes as new watering holes continue to open around the city, each with a unique offering. Keep an eye out for local favourites, The Standard, Sneaky Tony’s, Joe’s Juice Joint, Caballitos and Mechanics Institute.
- Spend an afternoon in Kings Park & Botanic Garden.One of the largest inner city parks in the world (it’s bigger than Central Park in New York!), the views from Kings Park over-looking the Swan River and city skyline are superb. Home to more than 300 species of native plants and around 80 bird species, the natural landmark is the perfect spot to sit back, relax and take in the serenity; or if you’re feeling active, enjoy a run along the many scenic trails.
- Be entertained by a full line-up of music, sport, food, theatre and cultural events.Music, sport, theatre or food. Whether you're looking for a local market, sporting event or a festival, you’ll find it here in Perth. With a selection of world-class venues, including Optus Stadium, RAC Arena and the State Theatre Centre, Perth’s unique calendar of events is second to none.
- Catch an Indian Ocean beach sunset.With 19 pristine beaches lining the city’s coastline, there’s plenty of spots to choose from to enjoy one of WA’s famous Indian Ocean sunsets. Stop by one of the many coastal dining options to enjoy a meal or afternoon cocktail, such as Island Market Trigg, Odyssea City Beach, Cottesloe Beach Hotel and The Shorehouse.
- Explore Rottnest Island. Famous for its tranquil waters and secluded bays, a visit to the island is the perfect day out. Catch a ferry from Perth, Fremantle or Hillarys and on arrival hire a bike and explore the island’s 63 beautiful beaches and 20 bays. Enjoy a swim and snorkel on one of the many coral reefs, or enjoy an ocean cruise dining on local seafood. The island is also home to the world’s happiest animal, the adorable quokka.
- Experience Perth’s unique attractions.Hop on a free CAT bus and tour Perth’s city sights. Enjoy a riverside lunch at Elizabeth Quay; ring one of the world’s largest musical instruments, the Swan Bells; get a cultural and foodie fix at Yagan Square; watch a live gold pour and see the world’s largest collection of gold bars at the Perth Mint; catch a ferry across the Swan River to Perth Zoo; or head out to Caversham Wildlife Park, 30 minutes’ drive east of Perth where you can meet koalas, wombats, kangaroos and many other native wildlife.
- Take a day trip.There are plenty of destinations within easy reach of Perth city centre - perfect for day-tripping or spending the night. Explore the historic vineyards of the Swan Valley and Perth Hills wine regions; swim with wild dolphins at Rockingham; cruise the canals of Mandurah; mix with the locals on the ‘cappuccino-strip’ in Fremantle; or enjoy the historic sights of York.
- Indulge in some retail therapy. Fashionistas can check out international and home-grown designs in the city and surrounds.Leading fashion houses can be found in Perth CBD, or head to Northbridge and West Perth for chic boutiques, vintage wares and bargain outlets. Those seeking high-end fashion can head to King Street or Raine Square to indulge in international and local designer labels and luxury brands – as well as WA’s treasures, including South Sea pearls, Argyle pink diamonds and Kalgoorlie gold.
- Enjoy an exquisite dining experience. Perth has the perfect ingredients for even the fussiest of foodies– top local produce, celebrated chefs and an explosion of dining options. You’ll find boutique dining at the beautifully restored State Buildings precinct, while the best seasonal flavours can be enjoyed at the likes of Santini Bar & Grill, Fleur at The Royal, Shadow Wine Bar and Lulu La Delizia.
- Be pampered in Perth. The city’s recent hotel boom has brought with it a new range of holistic spa treatments.Head to Crown Spa’s aqua-hued treatment rooms, or enjoy COMO Shambhala Urban Escape’s hands-on healing, providing natural and organic skin care and indulgent body treatments.
- Indulge in a cultural feast at Perth’s Cultural Centre. Home to the new WA Museum Boola Bardip, the Art Gallery of WA, State Library, the Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts, and the State Theatre, this hub in Northbridge is the perfect place to spend the day or night awakening your cultural senses.
For more information, see the useful visitor links below;